Charles Frode has written and published 6 books--three collections of short stories, his memoir of his time as a Trappist monk, a collection of poetry, and a book on gardening.
He chose to self-publish, Print on Demand through LULU book publishers. His journey of self-publication is a growing phenomenon in the ever changing world of publication.
Frode is fascinated by the writing process--both fiction and non-fiction, and is skilled and experienced at mentoring writers through the following aspects of writing:
- Moving past so-called "writer's block" ("I don't know what to write!")
- Generating ideas to write about
- The different kinds of brainstorming
- How to start
- The interplay between facts and opinions
- How to create a thesis (your opinion about the topic in one sentence)
- How to generate topic sentences from the thesis
- How to use Poetic Devices as writing tools (metaphor, repetition, etc.)
- How to revise
- Describing not telling
Frode also uses the wonderful book about writing by Mario Vargas Llosa, Letters to a Young Novelist, to introduce and guide aspiring writers to the next level of fiction writing.
He is eager to speak with writers and non-writers and to discuss the fascinating and mysterious world of words.
He is also available to read and discuss selections from his own books--short stories, poetry, gardening, or his memoir about his time as a monk and his archetypal friendship with his Narcissus.